Sunday, May 15, 2011

Competition

OK, so people who know me well know that I can tend to be a little competitive.  I'm not sure why that is exactly.  I was an only child for most of my life so it's not like I was fighting someone else for things as a kid or competing for attention or anything like that.  But, when it comes to board games or a race, I just really want to win.  And I can also make a competition out of something that isn't inherently competitive. 

For example, last year on a trip to Puerto Rico with two of my best friends, we were staying at a hotel on the second floor and there were two elevators to go downstairs each with their own call button.  Somehow this turned into a competition.  If two of us pushed a button (one at each elevator), which elevator would come first?  Of course if my elevator came first, there was an "I win!".  This was definitely in good fun and not a "real" competition, but you get the idea.

So why bring this up?  Well I find myself randomly in competition with other people on the street now while I'm running.  Do other people do that too?  At least once a week I will run around the reservoir and find myself desperately trying to pass the person running in front of me just a little faster than I am.  The other day I was running behind an unsuspecting guy who of course didn't know that he was in a race with me.  I think it probably took me at least 1/2 way around the reservoir to catch and eventually pass him.  Don't worry, I didn't yell "I win!" as I ran by.  Hey, if it makes me run a little faster I guess it doesn't hurt.

By the way...good 6 mile run this weekend with Kara and Donna who are training for a 1/2 marathon in two weeks.  They ran 12 miles like it was no big deal at all!

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I love it. Pick 'em off (that's how I say it) one at a time!

    ReplyDelete