Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Mostly unnecessary running gear purchases

Everyone has probably taken up a new sport or activity and decided that in order to do that sport, you need to buy a bunch of equipment like you are instantly so hard core that you can't do the sport without it.  Well running isn't totally new for me, but I guess I have taken on a new level of effort with this marathon training and have gotten a little carried away with the running equipment shopping.  Here is what has been purchased in the past two months in no particular order...

  • GPS watch - Garmin Forerunner 210 to be exact.  The justification for this purchase is this way I don't have to map all the runs out ahead of time and I can keep track of my pace, time, etc.  I actually love it.
  • Fuel belt water holder - ok I have to admit I definitely had a little bit of a stereotype with the runners wearing the belt with the water bottles hanging off.  Either I think, "wow they totally think they are way more bad ass than they actually are" or "wow they must be running so far that I feel totally like a slacker to just do my little 3 mile loop compared to them".  But hey, if I have to run these long runs on the weekends, I need the dorky belt thing. 
  • New sneakers - these were actually required because my last pair were giving me blisters.
  • New running socks - working on the same blister issue.
  • Sweaty band headbands - purchased at the Boston marathon expo.  I mean I can only wear one at a time, so I probably didn't need 5.
  • Books on running - I got Kara Goucher's book as a gift which was great.  Then I bought Born to Run and Jeff Galloway's book on training for a marathon. 
  • New running clothes - I mean, I barely need an excuse to buy clothes, what girls does?... so this was a given.
  • GU Energy Gel - I picked up 4 different flavors just to try then out before I buy more.  I'm thinking I'll have my own version of the Pepsi challenge.
  • Visor - Haven't needed it yet, but if the sun ever comes out again, I am ready.
That's all the purchases so far.  I actually finally gave into the rewards club card at City Sports in preparation for any other purchases too.  Bring on the junk emails...

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment