Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tale of Two Cities

So this week feels a little like the beginning of a Tale of Two Cities....It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  I am so pumped for the marathon and then I had to put my cat Jasmine to sleep.  It's so annoying how pets become a part of your life and routine and you get so attached.  I got Jasmine the first weekend after I moved to CT after college in 1997.  Donna and Kelley can tell you the story of the day we picked her up.  It's pretty hilarious to hear them tell it and it gets more entertaining each year I think.  They still aren't sure why I insisted on getting a Siamese cat and even more unbelievable that I paid $150 for her.  Jasmine definitely made an impression on people who met her either because she hissed at them or sat on their lap without letting them pet her or just by having such a personality.  To me she was my buddy waiting for me when I got home from work and would sit on my lap watching cheesy TV shows.  She also was the pet I needed when I first moved out on my own after college and was missing my family. 

She ended up not eating much over the past few days and seeming pretty weak on Sunday and Monday.  When I took her to the vet yesterday, they ran tests and confirmed that she was in kidney failure.  The most humane thing to do was to put her to sleep.  I am glad that she only spent a few hours at the vet without too much pain, although she didn't like the IV.  I was able to hang out with her at the end and the best part was that she was letting me pet her and lean on me although she was growling the entire time just to make sure we all knew she was still there and had her defiant personality intact. 

It's a sad thing to put your pet to sleep and I never had to do that personally before.  It is sad, but it was the best thing to do and she had a great life.  Bye Jazzy.

Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I'm so sorry to read about Jasmine. She really was a big personality. I was with my last two cats when they went to sleep. They both had kidney failure. I'm glad you were with her. Lots of love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jasmine...I fondly remember - waking up on the air mattress to you chomping away on my big toe, the head bob while you tried to focus on someone, and best of all, the stories you've given us over the years...you'll be missed

    ReplyDelete