Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Saturday in NY

Saturday started with meeting my Dad and Mary for breakfast.  When I went to walk over, the NYRR 5K had just started and happened to be running right down 5th Avenue in front of my hotel.


After breakfast, my friend John from DC came over and we went to check out the finish line.  I wanted to see how it looked all built up with the grandstands and also to find a spot where I could meet up with everyone after the finish.  It was crazy how long the finish line chute went on for.  It was hard to tell where the runners actually existed after the race.  As part of Fred's Team, I had a sticker on my bib that allowed me to go to the Cherry Hill area after the race.  Basically, just after I got my medal and bag of snacks, someone from Fred's Team pulled me out of the line of walking zombies and brought me to a special area where we had our bags waiting.  Here's a shot in front of the finish line.


We settled on meeting at the Starbucks at 73rd and Columbus Avenue which turned out to be a great spot. 

It was such a beautiful Fall day in Central Park and the city in general.  I can't even believe how lucky we were with the weather all weekend.  After checking out the finish area, we headed back to the hotel to get off our feet a little bit and wait for Donna and Melissa to arrive.  It was so fun having so many friends in town.  Saturday became a day of "How many fun things can we fit in?"  After Melissa and Donna got to the hotel, we met up with Raul who is another friend from Grad school who also happened to be running the marathon.  The five of us went out to grab lunch at SarabethsI would definitely recommend it if you are in the city.  

OK much more to come with dinner and a report of the race.....

Lisa 

No comments:

Post a Comment