Thursday, August 25, 2011

Running Gear Purchase Update

I had listed what I purchased at the beginning of my training.  I figured I could give you an update of what I think of them now that I've put some more miles in. 

  • GPS watch - Garmin Forerunner 210.  Love it.  Get one if you run at all.  It's so much easier to know the distance and not have to map it out ahead of time.
  • Fuel belt water holder - I've used the dorky belt a ton.  I guess there's no way around it.  The one I have is good because there is a pouch to carry my phone and the gels. 
  • New sneakers - I'm wearing Brooks.  I just bought my 3rd and 4th pair since I started.  I read that you are supposed to get new sneakers after 300-500 miles.  Kind of a wide range.  I can totally feel the difference though when I start using the new ones.  This last weekend I bought two pairs and decided to alternate them to have them last longer.  I got two of the same kind in two different colors.  One of them will be the ones I run in on race day.  I'll have to see if it feels like a blue or a purple day.
  • New running socks - using the same socks.
  • Sweaty band headbands - Out of the 5 I bought, I pretty much wear the same black and white one.  Figures.
  • Books on running - I read the Kara Goucher and Jeff Galloway book, but haven't been able to get into Born to Run.
  • New running clothes - mostly been working on trying to find a better sports bra.  I think I'm on my 3rd brand since I started.  It's surprising how many of them have really uncomfortable seams that rub on my shoulder or sides at longer distances and of course the better ones cost more.  I think I finally found a winner from Lululemon.  The style that seems to work is called Ta Ta Tamer.  Catchy right?  But really, $58 for a sports bra?  How is that possible?
  • GU Energy Gel - Orange is my favorite flavor.
  • Visor - Now I have two visors.  I actually wear the visor a lot.  It's so much better than wearing sunglasses.
I still check out everything at City sports or Marathon Sports whenever I get the chance, but mostly everything I bought so far I have gotten a lot of use out of.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment