Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Two Saturdays in Newton

I've been a little bit of a slacker with the posts, but that doesn't mean I haven't been running!  The past two Saturdays I ran 16 miles.  Well 16.2 and 16.1 if we're being exact about it.  I mean I am definitely counting every 10th of a mile at this point.

These past two weeks I have done the same route where I run about 7 miles to Kara's house in Newton, we run about 5-6 miles together, and I then I run home to Brighton.  It helps so much to break it up!  I have to say that running down Comm Ave in Newton is a much different experience than running around the Charles.  I love them both, but you have to know the running etiquette to really fit in.  If you are running in Newton, you can't be the same self-absorbed snotty self that you are in the city.  Here's a few things I picked up:

  • Be prepared to say hi to the person headed your way.  If you are used to running in the city, you may not be prepared for this.  I am talking about the people who are out on the street at 7AM on a Saturday, so I can't speak for all times of day.  You may or may not get a "hi" depending on the person headed your way.  If it is a group of runners approaching you, the odds are over 50% that you'll get a hi, so be prepared to say hi back.  If it is a person with a dog...hi.  If it is a couple walking...hi.  If it is a person running by themselves....eh could go either way.  If it is a woman power walking like she is on a mission to walk cross country....don't expect a hi and pass her with some distance.
  • Be prepared to duck if a minivan comes up behind you chucking Wall Street Journals out of the window.  That guy has a wicked right hook with his left arm to launch the paper over the car.
  • Be prepared to see a turkey crossing the road.  It happened.  I was a little scared I have to admit.
  • Be prepared to get lapped.  There are multiple running groups out there on a Saturday morning who run way faster than I do.  I'm over it, but do my best to draft off of them a little on their way by.
  • Be prepared and check out the BC football schedule.  I'm probably the only person out there who lives two blocks from the stadium and has no clue when there is a home game.  I need to get on that one.
Next Saturday the schedule is kicking it up to 18 miles.  Oh man.  I am headed down to NYC again early Saturday morning to meet up with Fred's Team, so I'm looking forward to that.  The big day is two months from today exactly.  Can you believe it??  I can't!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment