Sunday, July 17, 2011

Melrose Place and Dunkin Donuts

The plan for this Saturday's run was 12 miles.  My route was to go from my house, to the Charles, down to the Museum of Science, and back.  I made a slight miscalculation and that ended up only being 10.5 miles and not 12 as I thought.  Oh well.  Next Saturday is 14 miles and I have that one down for sure, so I figure it's ok.

I tried the run/walk plan for the first time on a long run.  I set my watch to run 7 minutes and walk for a minute.  I have to say it made the running a little choppy.  I think it is supposed to make me run faster since I have the walk break, but I think it actually made me want to just stop and walk all the time.  I am going to extend the time to 8/1 for next weekend and see how that goes.  I think I just need to get used to it.

I added something else to my "post long run" routine this week.  So it turns out I have a pool at my condo! I actually knew this already, but I never use it.  Well we might as well call it Melrose Place.  I didn't go in the pool all last summer, but went for a swim for the first time yesterday.  You would think that going to Melrose Place would be annoying because it is crowded and you almost gag from the smell of all the oil.  Actually no!  The huge benefit of Melrose Place is that no one is actually in the water....they are all roasting in the sun by the side of the pool drinking 40's of Coors Light.  What a benefit for me!  The only important thing to keep in mind if you want to swim at Melrose Place is you have to go early enough before they bust out the Beirut raft.

One other fact that I noticed this past Saturday morning.....I think if someone did an official study, they would see that 99.999% of people walking on the sidewalks in Boston between the hours of 8AM-10AM on a Saturday morning are carrying the most delicious looking Dunkin Donuts Iced coffee.  I mean really people.  I think I passed about 50 of them before the end of my run when I was actually able to drink one.  I know this seems like a stupid thing to obsess about, but what else is there to think about when you are running for almost 2 hours?

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving your blog, I really am. Your writing voice is so like your talking voice, which is a real talent. And I'm enjoying your journey on this big challenge you have given yourself. Wish we had a pool!

    I'm going to set a date for August to do a fund raising coffee morning at work for you!! I plan to make a pie and pecan coffee cake to give it an American theme.

    Katie x

    ReplyDelete