Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ok it's getting serious now....

This Sat. was a 13 mile training run.  And it's the beginning of running at least 13 miles for the next 15 of 17 Saturdays. Really?  Yes.  I guess this marathon training thing finally hit me this week.  I mean I've been looking at the training schedule every day, but the long training runs just finally sunk in.  The 13 mile run yesterday actually went pretty well.  I ran around the Charles the loop between North Beacon Street and the Longfellow Bridge.  Kara was able to join me for the last 6 miles which was a huge help! 

My time for the run was 2:28.  I am hoping to run the marathon in around 5 hours or a little under, so I'm pretty on track, but we'll see how the rest of the long runs go.  For the next long runs, I need to work on the walk break part too.  I had intended to do the run/walk Jeff Galloway method for the long runs, but haven't really gotten into it yet.  I got some advice from my friend who runs faster than a speeding bullet (you know who you are :)) and she said I need to get on track with the run/walk.  The exact words may have been "do I need to get on your case about the walk breaks?"  Apparently my GPS watch can even be set up to beep when it's time to walk and run again.  So I got out the watch manual and I think I'm set for the next long run.  I have the intervals set up so I can run for 7 minutes and then walk for 1.  That's going to be my plan for next weekend, so we'll see how it goes!

One last thing...I also discovered my favorite part of my "post race routine".  Getting a Boston creme donut!  I mean I always get an iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts, but when else are you going to go for the donut except after a long run.  Nothing like a shot of empty calories to make you feel like a million bucks after running!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment